Shieldaig Community Pontoon & Visitor Moorings
Torridon Yacht Charter's guests benefit from the use of the Shieldaig Community Pontoon for embarking and disembarking.
The facility was installed in 2013 following the hard work of a small number of local people to secure funding from LEADER (part of the Scottish Rural Development Programme), The Crown Estate, Highlands & Islands Enterprise, the Highland Council and a local donor. The pontoon is also the home of Torridon RIB Charter and Torridon Sea Tours.
The pontoon is owned by the Shieldaig Community Association and its maintenance is funded by donations from the users. There is a donations box on the pontoon.
- A £10 donation is suggested by yachts berthing to take on fresh water.
- The facility is for short stay berthing only and yachts can not remain on the pontoon overnight.
- It is accessible at all states of the tide.
- Torridon Sea Tours and Torridon RIB Charter also operate from the pontoon.
The facility is a fantastic resource for local residents and visiting boats who want a run ashore to Nanny's Cafe, the Tigh an Eilean Hotel, the Coastal Kitchen restaurant, Torridon Smokehouse or the village shop, or to post a letter!
In March 2017, The Crown Estate installed two visitor moorings, which are located southeast of the Community Pontoon and have blue buoys.
- Visiting yachts are welcome to use these moorings.
- Each mooring has 2x 100kg anchors and 18.5 metres of 32mm ground chain, professionally laid.
- A £10 donation is requested per pick up, to be put in the donations box on the pontoon.